To promote swimming to all ages
Swimming – lessons, coaching and competition
Company limited by Guarantee with 6 Directors. The Activities and Management is overseen by a Management Committee
Welfare Officer needed
The Guernsey Swimming Club (GSC) is looking for a person willing to give their time as Welfare Officer for the Club, replacing one officer who has a conflict in covering two roles within the club.
The role is essential in providing a first point of contact for children, parents and adults within the GSC who have a child safeguarding or welfare concern.
We are looking for a volunteer with -
- a child-centred approach - ideally with some previous safeguarding or welfare background;
- Basic admin and record maintenance skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Confidence when referring cases to external agencies;
- The ability to ensure policy and procedures are effectively implemented.
The GSC expects you:
- To attend the necessary safeguarding courses as and when required (usually 2 courses every two years);
- To assist the club in implementing Wavepower, Swim England’s Child Safeguarding Policy and Procedures document;
- To be the first point of contact for club staff, volunteers, young people, and parents for any issues concerning child welfare, poor practice or potential or alleged abuse;
- To ensure that all incidents are reported correctly and referred, in accordance with Wavepower;
- To ensure that all relevant club members, volunteers and staff have an up to date DBS Enhanced Disclosure (this should be updated every 3 years) and the opportunity to access appropriate child safeguarding training
- To act independently and in the best interests of a child at the club, putting their needs above that of others and the club itself;
- To ensure that Codes of Conduct are in place for club volunteers, coaches, competitors and parents;
- To ensure confidentiality is maintained and information is only shared on a ‘need to know’ basis.
The level of commitment required will vary but will include ad-hoc attendance at meetings and dedicated time should any child protection concerns be raised.
Should you be interested in this volunteer role or wish to have further information, please email Anne Cann, GSC Committee Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org